With some species of peas, the juvenile pods can be harvested and eaten whole, we know and love these as mange tout. This recipe brings together both mange tout and garden peas, with a super quick and easy dressing, perfect for when you need a healthy supper or lunch – fast!
I’m also using up the fresh garden peas I had left over from my latest mindful eating experiment, which makes me really happy as I’m a big fan of improvising and using what I already have, before making a dash to the shops.
I don’t know about you, but a jar of pesto is a staple in our fridge, it is a wonderfully versatile ingredient and packs a really flavoursome punch. Vegan and ‘free-from’ versions are available from most supermarkets and health food shops, so you can adapt this recipe for most dietary requirements. If you have the time, making your own is so worth it! Watch this space for a recipe…
For this salad, I’ve blanched both types of peas. This partial cooking technique softens them ever-so-slightly whilst keeping some crunch and texture for the salad. The garden peas need one minute in boiling water, whilst the mange tout need only 30 seconds. If you don’t have iced water to hand to plunge the partially cooked peas in, running under cold water is fine… I do this from time to time when I don’t have ice ready to use.
To make this a little more substantial, I’d have it with an oven baked sweet potato, however you could also try it with your favourite grain, maybe some quinoa or lentils?
With love and gratitude for bright and vibrant greens, are they not the most beautiful thing! x
- 75g mange tout
- 125g fresh peas in pods
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- ½ red onion
- 1 tbsp your favourite pesto
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Open the pea pods and reserve the peas in a bowl - it's all good if you only have frozen, simply use around 60g and cook as per the instructions before cooling and using in the salad.
- Blanch the peas for one minute, and add the mange tout for the last 30 seconds.
- Drain and stop the peas from cooking by plunging in iced water or running under cold water.
- Finely slice the red onion, and add to a bowl, along with the baby spinach leaves and cooled peas.
- Add the pesto and white balsamic vinegar to a jar and shake to mix well, taste and season if required.
- Add the dressing to the salad and gently fold until all the salad is covered.